Monday, June 1, 2015

Blog Assignment #3

Peer Editing
peer edit poster

     "Peer editing is providing meaningful feedback to peers, improving the quality of their writing. Peers refer to people within the same age group (readwritethink.org)." Peer editing can boost confidence for insecure writers. I am an insecure writer, and I constantly fear what my peers and instructors will say about my thoughts and opinions. Over the past year, I have written more papers than I thought possible. Through the help of peer editors making suggestions, I have built my confidence about writing. Although it may not be my strongest area, I do believe it has greatly improved. Along with improvement in writing, my grammar and vocabulary have improved tremendously.
      I learned that it takes steps to become an ideal peer editor. Steps that include positivity, suggestions (not forcing an idea), and proper corrections. When a person is peer editing they should always find what they like about the writers thoughts, and express those likes. They should also make suggestions that will help improve the paper, not upset the writer. If corrections are needed, corrections such as punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, and spelling, the editor needs to be sure that he/she makes the proper corrections and that the corrections are accurate. A person that is editing can easily make a writer feel inadequate and self-consious about their writing if they do not approach all these steps correctly.

3 comments:

  1. "...than I though possible…." thought, not though

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! Please make sure you have at least one functioning link in all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peer editing can make us better writers if done the proper way. I was an insecure writer as well, but now I look forward to peer editing because it helps me see where I need the most help and what I have improved on. I have every writing assignment revised before I submit it. An editing suggestion is adding a 't' to 'though' to make it 'thought.' (In the sentence "...papers than I though possible.") I enjoyed reading your blog post about peer editing and knowing that someone else feels the same way about peer editing is comforting.

    ReplyDelete